⚡️ Coronavirus (COVID-19) update
We have temporarily adopted our programs for virtual instruction so that our new students have an option to begin their program in Summer or Fall 2020 virtually, and then change to on-campus learning, once the Czech Republic re-opens its borders.
The University of New York in Prague cooperates with the University of Bolton to offer doctorate degrees in the form of a Ph.D. by research.
What is a Ph.D. by research?
A Ph.D. by publication is similar to a conventional Ph.D. but recognizes research work carried out by entrepreneurial companies and academic organizations that lead to novel and publishable results.
A UNYP Ph.D. by research usually requires a minimum of three years, during which time there should be three publications, in literature approved by the University of Bolton. These publications should be in relation to the student's thesis and area of expertise and should develop the student’s knowledge of the subject. The award of this Ph.D. is based purely on these three published works and as such rewards on-going activities rather than additional work.
The Ph.D. by research is different from any other Ph.D. variation because it is based on works to be published. Publications can include papers in high impact factor journals or full international patents, and as a result, this type of doctorate is extremely versatile and can be applied to all aspects of the enterprise, from business and science to the arts.
Students in the UNYP Ph.D. program must submit a thesis in English, and provide an oral defense of the new knowledge (philosophy) that has been generated.
The UNYP Ph.D. by Research is suitable for candidates who:
- Possess a good undergraduate degree and are eager to move up;
- Have a few years of experience working in research-driven companies, and who will continue to work in the same field for the duration of their Ph.D. or work on their own research or project;
- Do not have the time to undertake part-time Ph.D. studies;
- Can utilize complementary facilities and expertise at collaborating academic institutions;
- Can complement knowledge obtained through innovation with the scientific foundation;
- Aspire to be rewarded for efforts expended in the line of business with the highest academic qualification.
Opportunities for the doctoral candidate
- Increasing depth of knowledge
- Obtaining the highest academic qualification (doctorate)
- Networking with other Ph.D. candidates and industry partners
- Becoming internationally known in the chosen field
Benefits for the collaborating industry or organization
- Ready access to expertise and complementary research facilities
- Two supervisors from an academic organization
- Access to additional technical support staff
Format of the UNYP Ph.D. by research
- Three inter-related projects under academic and industry co-supervision
- Participation in the annual Knowledge and Innovation Forum
- Publication of three works (one patent is acceptable) – the novelty of the works will be assessed by journal editorial boards and/or patent agencies
Format of the UNYP Ph.D. thesis
- Three publications
- An introductory chapter that binds all three works to establish a new “philosophy”
- “Conclusions and further recommendations” chapter
- Interview before a panel of experts
- Assessment of the contributions to new knowledge created by the candidate
Participation at University of Bolton events
UNYP doctoral candidates are required to go to the University of Bolton two to three times, at least once at the beginning and once at the end of the Ph.D. They will answer questions from a five-member committee in relation to their thesis. Three members of the committee will be representatives of the University of Bolton, and the other two members will be external associates. During the first year, the supervisor will direct the student as to how to carry out the research. University events include:
- Postgraduate Induction Program
- Annual two-day event to familiarize students with research practice codes, especially publishing and IPR
- Research Forum
- A monthly half-day event where candidates in the same field present their findings to colleagues and industry
- Research and Innovation Forum
- Annual four-day conference and networking event, including paper presentations by all Ph.D. candidates, poster presentations and book-bound proceedings
- Business plan competition in groups with DBAs and MBAs
- Presentation of awards and prizes
The Award of Doctoral Degrees
Doctoral Degrees are awarded to students who have demonstrated:
- The creation and interpretation of new knowledge, through original research or other advanced scholarship, of a quality to satisfy peer review, extend the forefront of the discipline, and merit publication
- A systematic acquisition and understanding of a substantial body of knowledge which is at the forefront of an academic discipline or area of professional practice
- The general ability to conceptualize, design and implement a project for the generation of new knowledge, applications or understanding at the forefront of the discipline, and to adjust the project design in the light of unforeseen problems
- A detailed understanding of applicable techniques for research and advanced academic inquiry
Typically, holders of the qualification will be able to:
- Make informed judgments on complex issues in specialist fields, often in the absence of complete data, and be able to communicate their ideas and conclusions clearly and effectively to specialist and non-specialist audiences
- Continue to undertake pure and/or applied research and development at an advanced level, contributing substantially to the development of new techniques, ideas or approaches
And holders will have:
- The qualities and transferable skills necessary for employment requiring the exercise of personal responsibility and largely autonomous initiative in complex and unpredictable situations, in professional or equivalent environments
To be accepted into the program, a student must submit:
- Completed and signed application form
- Certified copy of Undergraduate Degree - Bachelor’s diploma minimum
- Certified academic transcripts from an accredited institution of higher education
- Outline of your proposed research (approx. 300 words)
- Two letters of recommendation - from professionals who can address the candidate’s ability and motivation for enrolling in this program
- Curriculum Vitae – Resume
- Copy of ID or Passport
- 2 Passport-size Photographs
- Application Fee of 2.000 CZK (non-refundable)
- Motivation interview - after submitting the required documents students are invited for an interview with the Head of Department
All documents must be submitted in English. Documents originally in another language must be accompanied by a certified translation in English.
Do you have a question? Are you ready to apply?
Our admissions team is ready to answer your questions or help you with your application! Our team can also arrange a campus visit to meet our students and professors or sit in on a class. If you would like the try the UNYP experience you can even be a UNYP student for a day.
About the School
Since 1998, UNYP has been offering the best in English-language higher education in Central Europe, with a focus on Business Administration, Communications, Finance, IT Management, Marketing, Internat ... Read More