Ready. Set. Go! Hit the Ground Running.
Sports and Recreation Management involves the administration, marketing and promotion, and making financial and human resource decisions in sport and fitness organizations. Occupations in this field include collegiate and professional sport administrators including athletic directors, managers, and general managers, sports agents, recreation center directors, youth sport directors, as well as coaches, scouts, and strength and conditioning directors. The field of sports and recreation management encompasses implementation of skills that serve in the event and facility coordination and management as well as managing resources for not-for-profit and for-profit organizations. Sports and recreation management professionals must have an understanding of basic sport law and ethics, finance, accounting, market and management in a sport-specific climate.
Find your place in a high-growth career field
Employment of sport and recreation management professionals is projected to grow 10% from 2018-2024 which is faster than the average for all professions. The continued need for sports and recreation is expected to lead to new openings. As the popularity of youth, high-school, collegiate, and professional sports continues to grow at an exponential rate worldwide, demand for professionals in a variety of capacities will continue to be in demand. Moreover, an increasing demand for recreational facilities for a large baby-boom population has significantly increased the need for more recreation facilities and personnel for a diverse population.
Looking for a challenging career with variety?
Explore the wide variety of challenging employment opportunities that relate to Sports and Recreation Management:
- Athletic director
- Collegiate and professional sport ticket manager
- Collegiate and professional sport events manager
- Collegiate and professional sport facilities manager
- Collegiate and professional sport business manager
- Professional sports general manager
- Collegiate and professional sport coach
- Professional sports agent
- Collegiate and professional sport strength and conditioning director
- Collegiate and professional sport strength and conditioning coach
- Recreation director
- Recreation counselor
- Fitness club manager
- Personal trainer
Why get a degree?
An undergraduate program in Sports and Recreation Management provides students with a fundamental understanding of basic business principles including accounting, finance, marketing, and management as well as how to apply these fundamentals into the sport and recreation environment. At an undergraduate level, students will be equipped to play a pivotal role in setting the tone of an organization. Pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Sports and Recreation Management is a prudent career move for professionals seeking to develop their decision-making, leadership, verbal communication, and management skills to help advance overall organizational objectives. Adult professionals will expand career strategies in preparation for managerial opportunities in the sports and recreation management market and will realize a solid return on their tuition investment.
What will I learn to do?
The foundational courses in the program will educate students in all areas of the business curriculum and prepare them to enter the workplace as a strategic thinking sports and recreation management professional. Students will gain knowledge in aspects of sports and recreation management to include sports and recreation events and facilities management, sports marketing, legal and ethical issues, human resource management, and sport psychology. The degree requirements will allow students to understand organizational needs, market and promote their organization, develop a greater understanding and application of sports and recreation management principles, and establish a professional work atmosphere.
Benefits of the BA in Sports and Recreation Management
- Obtaining a bachelor’s degree in Sports and Recreation Management allows the sports and recreation professional to one day work in an administrative, management or leadership position.
- A bachelor’s degree is a must if one wants to progress into a management position within sports and recreation.
- Students will experience all areas in the field to become strategic thinkers while implementing the values of the organization.
- Today’s sports and recreation management professionals must continue to learn and develop professionally, by keeping up to date with the changing landscape of sports and recreations and enhancing their skill set, leading to the need to complete a bachelor’s degree.
- A bachelor’s degree can be a stepping stone to graduate school unlocking more promising job opportunities in sports and recreation.
A faculty with hands-on, field-tested experience
Concordia-Chicago’s Sports and Recreation Management core faculty has extensive experience in the field of sports and recreation along with the requisite certifications/credentials. Faculty come from all subspecialties of sports and recreation including but not limited to collegiate and professional sports administration, sports agencies, recreation directors, personal training, strength and conditioning management, not-for-profit recreation agencies and more.
A pathway to achievement
The BA, Sports and Recreation Management, is a pathway to accelerated Master's degree programs, including:
- MA, Sports Leadership
Advantages of Concordia-Chicago’s online accelerated degree program
Our advisors create a specialized program plan to accommodate the needs of each individual student, allowing you to earn your degree in as little as 16 months, depending on the number of transfer credits accepted at the time of your admission:
- Flexible scheduling
- Accelerated courses
- Major courses are 5 weeks long
- 100% online (no set time to be online)
- Access to learning from anywhere in the world
Our delivery modes are designed to fit the needs of busy individuals and foster valuable relationships and support networks that can add value throughout your career.
Education made affordable
Concordia University Chicago is one of the most affordable private universities in the Midwest. Our Office of Financial Aid will work with you to seek financial aid and schedule manageable tuition payments.
Our tuition guarantee
Concordia-Chicago’s tuition guarantee program helps keep tuition affordable by allowing you to predict what the total cost of your education will be. As long as there are no interruptions in your course of study, we guarantee your tuition will remain the same and never increase while earning this degree.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 12, 2018