*subject to approval
A level of management expertise is crucial to landing a leading role in construction. The University of Portsmouth's online MSc in Project Management for Construction will help you confidently tackle the technical, commercial, organisational, financial and legal issues that can appear in a project’s lifecycle.
- Next start date: 8 February 2021
- Welcome week: 1 February 2021
- Application deadline: 25 January 2021 (applications open soon)
- Duration: 2 years (part-time)
- Format: Online, with optional face-to-face events
- Total course fees: £10,500 (including a £250 acceptance fee)
Why UoP's MSc Project Management for Construction?
If you want to lead multi-organisational teams on a construction project, but need to hone your management skills first, the University of Portsmouth is the place for you.
Here, you will examine construction project management from all angles. You will consider the economic, social and environmental issues that can affect various ventures.
You will also get acquainted with the main tools and techniques available for project management, such as Building Information Modelling (BIM) processes and other essential software.
Whether you’re looking to improve your leadership abilities within your current role or move into a more senior position, you will graduate with the skills and confidence to manage complex construction projects.
What you’ll study
The MSc in Project Management for Construction course examines whole projects from initiation through to delivery. You will be challenged to examine real case studies so you’re ready to face any obstacles construction projects can encounter.
Here you will:
- Learn to consider construction project management as an integrated process, starting when clients make the initial decision to begin a construction project
- Develop a critical understanding of the economic, social and environmental issues that affect large construction projects, as well as the expertise to address them
- Gain experience with BIM processes and Revit software, and understand the information management behind it
- Examine the range of tools and techniques available for project management, including how to apply them and justify their use
- Become familiar with the laws surrounding construction, including construction contract law and other forms of liability
- BIM Theory and Practice
- Construction Law, Contracts & Dispute Resolution
- Project Management Processes
- Project Management Tools and Techniques
- Strategic & General Management
Assessments for the MSc in Project Management for Construction are based on coursework submitted online. Your performance is assessed through coursework such as:
- Written assessments
- A dissertation
You’ll also receive feedback on formal and informal assessments to help you improve your work.
Your ability to navigate BIM processes and assess projects from a holistic standpoint are skills that are increasingly valued by employers in the construction business.
Upon graduation, you can expect to manage projects for independent clients, as well as construction and consulting organisations.
With the skills and expertise you will obtain on this course, you can go on to a career as a:
- Project manager
- Design manager
- Construction manager
To join MSc in Project Management for Construction, you need:
- A good honours degree or equivalent in a relevant subject, or equivalent industrial and work experience in the construction industry or other related field.
- English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.0 with no component score below 5.5.
If you’re unsure whether you’re eligible to apply, please contact us.
About the School
Portsmouth is a gateway city that’s open to the world. Our University is the same. Our part-time, online courses mean you can study from anywhere in the world when it suits you. With us, you’ll gain t ... Read More